Here’s a new Digitizing Practice! I hope you are seeing signs of Spring as you practice digitizing this cute design.
Fill out the form below and the image and a PDF guide will be sent to your email inbox.
Download the image from your email and use your creativity to trace and digitize the image, however you would like.
The PDF guide will include a numbered digitizing plan and suggestions and tips for tracing the image.
Create A Digitizing Plan
Decide which shapes to trace first – look at the image and think of it as layers. Trace the layers in back first. Trace the shapes that should stitch first and leave the details for last.
The following notes are a few suggestions to help you follow a digitizing plan for this image.
These notes include the order in which I suggest you trace the shapes and the stitch tools that would be the most appropriate for the that shape.
Of course, I encourage you to use your creativity and use whatever stitch and thread colors that you would prefer! That is the benefit of digitizing our own designs. No two will ever be the same!
Here is a suggested digitizing plan for you to follow:
- trace the bird using the Fill stitch tool
- choose a fill pattern to look like feathers
- trace the flower petals (one at a time) using the Fill stitch tool
- by tracing each flower petal individually you can adjust the angle lines of each one to create interest
- choose a fill pattern that you prefer
- trace the wing using either a Satin tool or the Fill stitch tool
- use the Artwork tool (eclipse) and draw a circle
- use the convert tools on the bottom toolbar to convert to a Fill stitch
- trace one of the leaves using the Satin tool
- copy and paste to create the other leaves
- use the text tool and a font of your choice to create the text
- align and size as needed
Beak – eyes
- use the Satin tool to trace the beak
- use the Artwork tool (eclipse) to create a small circle – use the Auto Satin convert tool (on the bottom toolbar) to convert the circle to a satin eye
- trace the eye lashes using a Bean stitch
- trace the legs using the Bean stitch tool
- trace the flower stem using the Bean stitch tool (or a steil satin could be used also)
Follow these 4 digitizing steps for each shape, as a guide, to get you started.
- if you are feeling ambitious, you could outline each of the shapes after you have finished tracing all of the shapes – using the black thread color
For those of you who belong to the Embroidery Gatherings Membership Club, here is a link to the Lesson Directory to find coordinating lessons to help you trace and edit this practice design.
Here are two ways to get the help you need to digitize your own designs.
1. Have a digitizing question?
Join the Embroidery Gatherings Facebook group and ask your questions, anytime.
2. To receive lots of extra TLC with FTCU digitizing….
You can get one-to-one digitizing help by joining our Embroidery Gatherings Membership Club. There are over 75 step-by-step written lessons and videos to help you learn to digitize your own embroidery designs using the FTCU software. We can create a personalized “journey” for you to learn to digitize!
Click HERE to find out more information.
share your design!
After you have finished, you are welcome to share your design image with our Embroidery Gatherings Facebook group. We would love to see your creativity!
Fill out the email form below and a PDF copy of this digitizing practice and the image, will be emailed to you!
The following list of My Favorite Supplies contains some affiliate links for your convenience – which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, I will earn a small commission, but your purchase price stays the same. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
I only recommend items that I use and love. I hope you find something that is helpful to you!