New Floriani FTCU Digitizing Practice! Show your patriotism and digitize this design for the Memorial Day holiday!
Fill out the form at the end of this lesson and the image and a PDF guide will be sent to your email inbox.
Download the image from your email and use your creativity to trace and digitize the image, however you would like.
The PDF guide will include a numbered digitizing plan and suggestions and tips for tracing the image.
Create A Digitizing Plan
Decide which shapes to trace first – look at the image and think of it as layers. Trace the layers in back first. Trace the shapes that should stitch first and leave the details for last.
The following notes are a few suggestions to help you follow a digitizing plan for this image.
These notes include the order in which I suggest you trace the shapes and the stitch tools that would be the most appropriate for the that shape.
Of course, I encourage you to use your creativity and use whatever stitch and thread colors that you would prefer! That is the benefit of digitizing our own designs. No two will ever be the same!
Here is a suggested digitizing plan for you to follow:
- trace each white stripe using the Fill stitch tool
- by doing the white stripes first, you can trace a run stitch travel stitch to the next stripe (the red stripe will cover it later) – this will help to avoid some jump stitches
- trace each red stripe using the Fill stitch tool
- note: you cannot do travel stitches between the shapes (unless you would choose to do a satin border around the entire flag- this would then cover the travel stitches)
Blue star – white border
- trace the star shape using the Applique tool – 2 possible options:
- when tracing the star – use the white star as the outline for the applique – then you can use a white thread color for the star border
- change the steil stitch border (thread color #3) to a white thread color
- option 2:
- trace the blue outline – change the color #3 as blue
- trace the white star using the steil stitch tool to create a white border (white thread)
- this option will give you a double satin border – one blue – one white around the star
- use the text tool and choose a font that you like to create the text words
- hint: it may be easier to do three separate lines of text instead
- edit as needed
Follow these 4 digitizing steps for each shape, as a guide, to get you started.
Embroidery Gatherings Members
For those of you who belong to the Embroidery Gatherings Membership Club, I will be posting a video inside the membership to show you my version of digitizing this image. The video will be posted in a week or so. I do not post the videos immediately because I want to challenge you to do it yourself first. You can find all of the Digitizing Practice videos on the Watch Me Digitize page HERE.
Here are two ways to get the help you need to digitize your own designs.
- Have a digitizing question?
Join the Embroidery Gatherings Facebook group and ask your questions, anytime.
- To receive lots of extra TLC with FTCU digitizing….
You can get one-to-one digitizing help by joining our Embroidery Gatherings Membership Club. There are over 75 step-by-step written lessons and videos to help you learn to digitize your own embroidery designs using the FTCU software. We can create a personalized “journey” for you to learn to digitize!
Click HERE to find out more information.
Share your design!
After you have finished, you are welcome to share your design image with our Embroidery Gatherings Facebook group. We would love to see your creativity!
Fill out the email form below and a PDF copy of this digitizing practice and the image, will be emailed to you!
The following list of My Favorite Supplies contains some affiliate links for your convenience – which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, I will earn a small commission, but your purchase price stays the same. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
I only recommend items that I use and love. I hope you find something that is helpful to you!